Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Love Is Love

This past Saturday night the local news came on with a story about invitations to a concert at Denison college having a noose on them while exhorting students to come to a Halloween event by saying, "Come hang with us". It all seemed a bit silly to get riled up over, but apparently multiple tolerance focused groups on the Denison campus took action, so the newscasters interviewed them. One student, the mohawked president of an anti-hate group was putting up signs in opposition; the signs were hand-drawn in pink marker and said "Love is Love" with hearts around them. I started to laugh and describe what was on TV to my roommate who was in the kitchen.

She didn't understand why I was laughing- and thought that the "Love is Love" message was a good one no matter what.

Now I still think that it was amusingly stupid and pointless, but part of me feels like maybe I'm not as wholesome or innocent or optimistic as I used to be, and possibly as I want to be. Or am I just too smart? If the sign had said something of actual meaning, even as dumb as "Love, Don't Hate" would I have laughed? Apparently yes, as I giggled as I typed that.

In the end, I think some people are too uptight (the ones that were upset by the invitation), some are too upright (the ones that put up the love posters) and some cynics have just enough of a sense of humor to make it through the world smiling.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

No comments: